BY KIT MINOR & TAYLOR MALAJATI
In this podcast, we analyze the uses of Ketamine. Here, we seek to understand the creation of Ketamine, new medicinal findings for Ketamine, and understand the abuse mechanisms of Ketamine. Ketamine abuse is a growing problem in our country, so we think it is very important to understand the good and bad things about Ketamine.
This episode was produced as part of an upper level course on Neuropharmacology taught by Angel Kaur during Fall 2019 at UNC Asheville.
- Nowacka, A., & Borczyk, M. (2019). Ketamine applications beyond anesthesia – A literature review. European Journal of Pharmacology, 860, 172547.
- Hu, Y., Xu, W., Cao, F. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials: combination of ketamine and propofol versus ketamine alone for procedural sedation and analgesia in children. IEM 14, 1-7 (2019).
- Jonkman, K., Dahan, A., Donk, T. V. D., Aarts, L., Niesters, M., & Velzen, M. V. (2017). Ketamine for pain. F1000Research, 6, 1711.
- Huntsman, R., Strueby, L., & Bingham, W. (2019).Are Ketamine infusions a viable therapeutic option for refractory neonatal seizures? Pediatric Neurology.
- Chen, M. H. et al. Antidepressant and antisuicidal effects of ketamine on the functional connectivity of prefrontal cortex-related circuits in treatment-resistant depression: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, longitudinal resting fMRI study. J. Affect. Disord. 259, 15-20 (2019).
- Luu, B., Rice, E., & Goldin, P. (2019). Ketamine in the treatment of major depressive disorder. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Slikker, W. et al. Ketamine-Induced Toxicity in Neurons Differentiated from Neural Stem Cells. Mol. Neurobiol. 52, 959–969 (2015).
- Vlisides, P. E. et al. Subanaesthetic ketamine and altered states of consciousness in humans. Br. J. Anaesth 121, 249-259 (2018).
- Lu, Y., Lin C., Lane, H. Mania following ketamine abuse. Neuropsychiatr. Dis. Treat. 12, 237-239 (2016).
- Tang, W. K., Lau, C. G., Ungvari, G. S., Lin, S.-K., & Lane, H.-Y. (2019). Recovery of cognitive functioning following abstinence from ketamine. Addictive Behaviors, 99, 106081.
- Zanos, P., & Gould, T. D. (2018). Mechanisms of ketamine action as an antidepressant. Molecular Psychiatry, 23(4), 801–811.
Written, Directed, and Featuring: Kit Minor & Taylor Malajati
Scientific Research by: Kit Minor & Taylor Malajati
Additional Sound Engineering: Cat Sawyer
New episodes arrive every third Tuesday