The Rise of Fentanyl
The Rise of Fentanyl
BY ANASTASIA WILSON & ABRIL RUIZ-LOPEZ
According to the CDC, illegal fentanyl is the main driver of the recent increase in opioid deaths in the United States. What is the history of fentanyl, its uses, and the role in addiction and in the opioid
epidemic? Join us on our podcast episode “The Rise of Fentanyl” where we’ll be discussing these points and more.
This episode was produced as part of an upper level course on Neuropharmacology taught by Angel Kaur during Fall 2019 at UNC Asheville.
- Fentanyl. 2019 Feb. National Institution on Drug Abuse. [accessed 2019 Oct 19].
- Opioid Overdose Crisis. 2019 Jan 22. National Institute on Drug Abuse. [accessed 2019 Oct 19].
- CDC/NCHS, National Vital Statistics System, Mortality. CDC WONDER, Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2018.
- Mandal A. 2019 Feb 27. Fentanyl History. News Medical Life Sciences. [accessed 2019 Oct 19].
- Palmer, AW. The China connection: how one D.E.A. agent cracked a global fentanyl ring. The New York Times. (2019).
- Crane, M, editor. Fentanyl vs. heroin: The similarities and differences between two powerful opioids. American
Addiction Centers (2019).
- Liu, L. History of the Opioid Epidemic: How Did We Get Here? (2019).
- Shinohara, A. et. al. Analgesic effects of systemic fentanyl on cancer pain are mediated by not only central but also peripheral opioid receptors in mice. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 275–282 (2018).
- Janssen, P et al. Compounds related to Pethidine. I. Mannich bases derived from norpethidine and acetophenones. J. Med. Pharm. Chem. 1:105–120 (1959).
- Ellis, C. et al. Predicting opioid receptor binding affinity of pharmacologically unclassified designer substances using molecular docking. Plos One. 5, 1-18 (2018).
- Peiper, N. C. et al. Fentanyl test strips as an opioid overdose prevention strategy: Findings from a syringe services program in the Southeastern United States. International Journal of Drug Policy 63, 122–128 (2019).
- Rhodes, B. et. al. Urban, individuals of color are impacted by fentanyl-contaminated heroin. To be published in Int. J. Drug Policy. (2019).
- TIRF REMS Access. TIRF REMS Access Program Home. (accessed 2019).
- Sharkey, L. Could a cannabis substance replace opioid pain relievers? Medical News Today. (2019).
- ABIM Foundation, American Society of Anesthesiologists. Treatments to Relieve Chronic Pain. Choosing Wisely. (2018).
- Ding, H. et. al. A novel orvinol analog, BU08028, as a safe opioid analgesic without abuse liability in primates. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 37, E5511–E5518 (2016).
Episode Transcript (PDF)
Scientific Research by: Anastasia Wilson, Abril Ruiz-Lopez
Editing: Sasha Hussey, Kevin Watson
Additional Sound Engineering: Cat Sawyer
New episodes arrive every third Tuesday