BY MORGAN LANCASTER, CASSIDY DONOVAN, JELENA BOSKOVIC
Why do certain treatments only work for certain types of people with schizophrenia? How can insight into one’s own conditions help? Through the movie A Beautiful Mind, we examine how the narrative of schizophrenia has evolved with growing research and we introduce how treatments and insight into these treatments leads to an individualized and more effective diagnosis.
This episode was produced as part of a freshman seminar on Science Communication taught by Angel Kaur during Fall 2020 at UNC Asheville.
- Cetin, M. Treatment of schizophrenia: past, present and future. Klinik Psikofarmakoloji Bulteni. 2, 95-99 (2015).
- Chand, G. et al. Two distinct neuroanatomical subtypes of schizophrenia revealed using machine learning. Brain. 3, 1027-1038 (2020).
- Gillespie, A. et al. Is treatment-resistant schizophrenia categorically distinct from treatment-responsive schizophrenia? a systematic review. BMC Psychiatry. 17, n.p. (2017).
- Grunder, G. Cumming, P. Dopamine hypothesis and schizophrenia. Academic Press, 109-124 (2016).
- Lenzenweger, M. F. Schizotypic psychopathology, and schizophrenia: understanding the nature, basis, and manifestation of the schizophrenia spectrum. In J. N. Butcher & J. M. Hooley (Eds.), APA handbooks in psychology®. APA handbook of psychopathology: Psychopathology: Understanding, assessing, and treating adult mental disorders. 343–373 (2018).
- Medical Imaging International. MRI scans can detect chemical imbalance in brain. MedImaging International. n.p. (2016).
- Tandon, T., Jibson, M. Extrapyramidal side effects of antipsychotic treatment: scope of problem and impact on outcome. Annals of Clinical Psychology. 14, 123-129 (2002).
- Schwartz, R. The relationship between insight, illness and treatment outcome in schizophrenia. Psychiatric Quarterly. 1, 1-22 (1998).
- Yang AC, Tsai SJ. New targets for schizophrenia treatment beyond the dopamine hypothesis. Int J Mol Sci. 8, 1689 (2017).
Written, Directed, and Featuring: Morgan Lancaster, Cassidy Donovan, Jelena Boskovic
Research by: Morgan Lancaster, Cassidy Donovan, Jelena Boskovic
Additional Sound Engineering: Cat Sawyer
New episodes arrive every third Tuesday