Marvel of MDMA
Marvel of MDMA
BY ROSANNA GARRIS & SCOUT SMITH
MDMA, molly, ecstasy, all of these are words for the same drug: 3,4-
methylenedioxymethamphetamine. MDMA is classified as a schedule 1 drug with no medicinal use and widely thought of as a party drug, but does it actually have the potential to change the lives of those with PTSD? Find out in today’s episode as we explore the history and recent literature on MDMA.
This episode was produced as part of an upper level course on Neuropharmacology taught by Angel Kaur during Fall 2019 at UNC Asheville.
- WKamilar-Britt, P. Bedi, G. The prosocial effects of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA): controlled studies in humans and laboratory animals. Neurosci. Behav. Rev. 57, 433-446 (2016).
- Yazar-Klosinski, BB. Mithoefer, MC. Potential Psychiatric uses for MDMA. Developments in Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 101, 194-196 (2017).
- Capela, JP, et al. Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Ecstasy-induced Neurotoxicity: An Overview. Mol Neurobiol. 39, 210-217 (2009).
- Hall, AP. Henry, JA. Acute toxic effects of ‘Ecstasy’ (MDMA) and related compounds: overview of pathophysiology and clinical management. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 96, 678- 685 (2006).
- Kelly, BC. Mediating MDMA-Related Harm: Preloading and Post-loading Among Ecstasy-using Youth. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. 41, 19-26 (2009).
- Kalant, H. The pharmacology and toxicology of “ecstasy” (MDMA) and related drugs. CMAJ. 165. 917-928 (2001).
- Navarro-Zaragoza, J. et. al. Binge ethanol and MDMA combination exacerbates HSP27 and Trx-1 (biomarkers of toxic cardiac effects) expression in right ventricle. Life Sci. 220. 50-57 (2019).
- Allott, K. Redman, J. Patterns of use and harm reduction practices of ecstasy users in Australia. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 82. 168-176 (2006).
- Hake, HS. et. al. 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) impairs the extinction and reconsolidation of fear memory in rats. Physiol. Behav. 199. 343-350. (2019).
Episode Transcript (PDF)
Written, Directed, and Featuring: Rosanna Garris, Scout Smith
Scientific Research by: Rosanna Garris, Scout Smith
Additional Sound Engineering: Cat Sawyer
New episodes arrive every third Tuesday