BY RICARDO SALINAS, BLAKE BROWN, & MIKAYLA ZOPFI
In this episode, we discuss the drug cannabis and the social and legal issues surrounding it. Hopefully this will bring some new insight to the ongoing discussion as to whether marijuana should be used medically, and whether the stigma surrounding its use be abandoned or not. Let’s get started!
This episode was produced as part of an upper level course on Neuropharmacology taught by Angel Kaur during Fall 2019 at UNC Asheville.
- Sarvet, L. et al. Self-medication of mood and anxiety disorders with marijuana: higher in states with medical marijuana laws. Drug Alcohol Depend. 186, 10-15 (2018).
- Patton, C. et al. Cannabis use and mental health in young people. BMJ. 325, 1195-1212 (2002).
- Ashton, C. H., Moore, P. B. Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in mood and related disorders. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 124, 250-261 (2011).
- García-Gutiérrez, M. et al. Overexpression of CB2 cannabinoid receptors decreased vulnerability to anxiety and impaired anxiolytic action of alprazolam in mice. J. Psychopharmacol. 25, 111-120 (2011).
- Scherma, M. et al. New perspectives on the use of cannabis in the treatment of psychiatric disorders. Medicines. 5, 107 (2018).
- El-Alfy, A. et al. Antidepressant-like effect of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol and other cannabinoids isolated from cannabis sativa l. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 95, 434 – 442 (2010).
- Bassi, M. et al. Exploiting the multifaceted effects of cannabinoids on mood to boost their therapeutic use against anxiety and depression. Front Mol Neurosci. 11, 424 (2018).
- Zou, S., Kumar, U. Cannabinoid receptors and the endocannabinoid system: signaling and function in the central nervous system. Int J Mol Sci. 19, 833 (2018).
- Hupli, A. Medical cannabis for adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: sociological patient case report of cannabinoid therapeutics in finland. Medical Cannabis and
Cannabinoids. 1, 112–118 (2018).
New episodes arrive every third Tuesday