The Magic of Mushrooms
The Magic of Mushrooms
BY STEVIE TRINKO, ZACH THOMAS, AND SARAH MONTGOMERY
Magic Mushrooms, shrooms, Psilocybin. Whatever the name, this serotonin hallucinogenic drug has been demonized for decades and yet offers a promising alternative to current therapeutics. Join us to meander through the ages as we rediscover all Psilocybin has to offer.
This episode was produced as part of an upper level course on Neuropharmacology taught by Angel Kaur during Fall 2019 at UNC Asheville.
- Barret, F. et al., “Double-blind comparison of the two hallucinogens psilocybin and dextromethorphan: similarities and differences in subjective experiences.” Psychopharmacology. 235, 2915-2927 (2017).
- Brown, R. et al. “Pharmacokinetics of escalating doses of oral psilocybin in healthy adults.” Clinical pharmacokinetics, 56(12), 1543-1554 (2017).
- Carhart-Harris, Robin L, et al. “Psilocybin for Treatment-Resistant Depression: FMRI-Measured Brain Mechanisms.” Nature News. 7, 1-11 (2017).
- Griffiths, R.R., et al. “Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance.” Psychopharmacology, 187, 268-283. (2006).
- Griffiths, R. R., Johnson, M. W., Carducci, M. A., Umbricht, A., Richards, W. A., Richards, B. D., … Klinedinst, M. A. (2016). Psilocybin produces substantial and sustained decreases in
depression and anxiety in patients with life-threatening cancer: A randomized double-blind trial. Journal of psychopharmacology (Oxford, England), 30(12), 1181–1197.
- Kometer, Michael, et al. “Psilocybin-Induced Spiritual Experiences and Insightfulness Are Associated with Synchronization of Neuronal Oscillations.” Psychopharmacology, vol. 232. 19, 3663–3676 (2015).
- Kuypers, K. P., et al. “Microdosing psychedelics: more questions than answers? An overview and suggestions for future research.” Journal of Psychopharmacology, 33(9), 1039–1057. (2019).
- Mendelson, John. “Faculty of 1000 Evaluation for Psilocybin Can Occasion Mystical-Type Experiences Having Substantial and Sustained Personal Meaning and Spiritual Significance.” F1000 – Post-Publication Peer Review of the Biomedical Literature, Mar. 2006.
- Smigielski, L., et al. “Psilocybin-assisted mindfulness training modulates self-consciousness and brain default mode network connectivity with lasting effects.” Neuroimage 196, 207- 215 (2019).
- Studerus, E. et al. Prediction of psilocybin response in healthy volunteers. PloS one 7, 1-12 (2012).
- Vollenweider, F. X., Kometer, M. “The neurobiology of psychedelic drugs: implications for the treatment of mood disorders.” Nat rev. Neurosci. 11, 642-651 (2010).
- Beique, J. et. al. Mechanism of the 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A receptor-mediated facilitation of synaptic activity in prefrontal cortex. (2007)
- Lee, M., Roth, B. Hallucinogen actions on human brain revealed. (2012)
- Llado-Pelfort, L. et al. Effects of hallucinogens on neuronal activity. (2017)
- Lopez-Gimenez, J. and Gonzalez-Maeso, J. Hallucinogens and serotonin 5-HT-2A receptor-mediated signaling pathways. (2017)
- Muthukumaraswamy, S. et. al. Broadband cortical desynchronization underlies the human psychedelic state. (2013)
- Nichols, D. Chemistry and structure-activity relationships of psychedelics. (2017)
- Preller, K. and Vollenweider, F. Phenomenology, structure, and dynamic of psychedelic states. (2016)
Written, Directed, and Featuring: Stevie Trinko, Zach Thomas, and Sarah Montgomery
Scientific Research by: Stevie Trinko, Zach Thomas, and Sarah Montgomery
Additional Sound Engineering: Cat Sawyer
New episodes arrive every third Tuesday