Caffeine: The Facts
Caffeine: The Facts
BY FERNANDO MANDUJANO ACEVEDO, WILL TURNER, HANNAH BRUNO, HALEY PENDLETON, & TABITHA TAYLOR
We all drink caffeine, but what do you know about how it works and what it does to the body/brain? This month’s episode is here to answer all your questions!
This episode was produced as part of a 200-level Fundamentals of Neuroscience course taught by Angel Kaur during Spring 2021 at UNC Asheville.
- Blaise, J. H., Park, J. E., Bellas, N. J., Gitchell, T. M., & Phan, V. (2018). Caffeine consumption disrupts hippocampal long-term potentiation in freely behaving rats. Physiological reports, 6(5), e13632.
- Espinosa Jovel, C. A., & Sobrino Mejía, F. E. (2017). Caffeine and headache: specific remarks. Cafeína y cefalea: consideraciones especiales. Neurologia (Barcelona, Spain), 32(6), 394–398.
- Gonzalez de Mejia, E., & Ramirez-Mares, M. V. (2014). Impact of caffeine and coffee on our health. Trends in endocrinology and metabolism: TEM, 25(10), 489–492.
- Lohsoonthorn, V., Khidir, H., Casillas, G., Lertmaharit, S., Tadesse, M. G., Pensuksan, W. C., Rattananupong, T., Gelaye, B., & Williams, M. A. (2013). Sleep quality and sleep patterns in relation to consumption of energy drinks, caffeinated beverages, and other stimulants among Thai college students. Sleep & breathing = Schlaf & Atmung, 17(3), 1017–1028.
- Nieber K. (2017). The Impact of Coffee on Health. Planta medica, 83(16), 1256–1263.
- Ryan, L., Hatfield, C., & Hofstetter, M. (2002). Caffeine Reduces Time-of-Day Effects on Memory Performance in Older Adults. Psychological Science, 13(1), 68-71. Retrieved March 21, 2021.
- Nehlig, A., Daval, J. L., & Debry, G. (1992). Caffeine and the central nervous system: mechanisms of action, biochemical, metabolic and psychostimulant effects. Brain research. Brain research reviews, 17(2), 139–170.
- Wikoff, D., Welsh, B. T., Henderson, R., Brorby, G. P., Britt, J., Myers, E., Goldberger, J., Lieberman, H. R., O’Brien, C., Peck, J., Tenenbein, M., Weaver, C., Harvey, S., Urban, J., & Doepker, C. (2017). Systematic review of the potential adverse effects of caffeine consumption in healthy adults, pregnant women, adolescents, and children. Food and chemical toxicology : an international journal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association, 109(Pt 1), 585–648.
Written, Directed, and Featuring: Fernando Mandujano Acevedo, Will Turner, Hannah Bruno, Haley Pendleton, and Tabitha Taylor
Scientific Research by: Fernando Mandujano Acevedo, Will Turner, Hannah Bruno, Haley Pendleton, and Tabitha Taylor
Additional Sound Engineering: Cat Sawyer
New episodes arrive every third Tuesday