Sleep & Stress
Sleep & Stress
BY ALBERT CHOW, JOYNER GROSS, NICO BOTT, & HALEY SMITH
In this episode we’re discussing the relationship between sleep–or lack thereof–and stress, which we all struggle with. Join us to learn about a very interesting hormone involved, how that can go awry, before moving onto potential solutions.
This episode was produced as part of a 200-level Fundamentals of Neuroscience course taught by Angel Kaur during Spring 2021 at UNC Asheville.
- Bear, M. F., Connors, B. W., & Paradiso, M. A. (2015). Chemical control of the brain and behavior. In L. G. Francis, J. Joyce, & T. Lochhaas (Eds.), Neuroscience: Exploring the brain (4th ed). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Breus, M. J. (2020, April 10). The effects of cortisol on your sleep. Psychology Today.
- El Mlili, N., Ahabrach, H., & Cauli, O. (2021). Hair Cortisol Concentration as a Biomarker of Sleep Quality and Related Disorders. Life (Basel, Switzerland), 11(2), 81.
- Figueiro, M. G., & Rea, M. S. (2011). Sleep opportunities and periodic light exposures: Impact on biomarkers, performance and sleepiness. Lighting Research and Technology, 43(3), 349-369.
- Hong-tao Song, Xin-yang Sun, Ting-shu Yang, Li-yi Zhang, Jia-lin Yang, Jing Bai, Effects of sleep deprivation on serum cortisol level and mental health in servicemen, Journal of Psychophysiology, Volume 96, Issue 3, 2015, Pages 169-175, ISSN 0167-8760.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. (n.d.) Adrenal glands.
- Nicolaides, N. C., Vgontzas, A. N., Kritikou, I., & Chrousos, G. (2020). HPA Axis and Sleep. In K. R. Feingold (Eds.) et. al., Endotext. MDText.com, Inc.
- Office of Public Affairs. (2017, October 20). Cortisol: The good news, bad news, and the downright ugly truth behind this stress hormone. University of Utah Health.
- Omisade, A., Buxton, O. M., & Rusak, B. (2010). Impact of acute sleep restriction on cortisol and leptin levels in young women. Physiology & Behavior, 99(5), 651-656.
- Theresa M. Buckley, Alan F. Schatzberg, On the Interactions of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) Axis and Sleep: Normal HPA Axis Activity and Circadian Rhythm, Exemplary Sleep Disorders, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 90, Issue 5, 1 May 2005, Pages 3106–3114.
- Wolkow, A., Aisbett, B., Reynolds, J., Ferguson, S. A., & Main, L. C. (2016). The impact of sleep restriction while performing simulated physical firefighting work on cortisol and heart rate responses. International archives of occupational and environmental health, 89(3), 461–475.